It was an absolutely privilege to present a Firestarter Talk at the recent LearnLife [RE]LEARN Festival. You can catch the video of it below.
Looking forward to presenting as part of the Educational Data Talks Lessons From Lockdown online conference on Thursday 10 September. Sharing the experience of remote learning at Wodonga Senior Secondary College.
I’ll post the slides here and would welcome any comments or questions from attendees.
A long time in the making, pleased to be part of creating and launching the new website of the Science Teachers Association of Victoria (STAV)
Very pleased to launch the inaugural STAV STEM & LabTech Online Conference. A huge achievement by all involved to bring this innovate new event to fruition in challenging times.
Excited to have my recent contribution published in ACER’s Teacher Magazine.
Looking forward to being on the panel at the upcoming Evidence 4 Learning webinar on Fostering Student Wellbeing.
Update: Available on YouTube here
Great to see our continuous learning model featured in the School for Tomorrow Continuous Learning Toolkit Volume II: Leading through Crisis.
The quote from me:
Wodonga Senior Secondary College recognises and values the complete picture of student needs. We care deeply about all our students and work in partnership with them to ensure they all have every opportunity to succeed.
Reflecting on two outstanding days of professional learning on metacognition and self-regulation as part of the PEARLs project presented by Evidence 4 Learning and the Science of Learning Research Centre. The guidance report from Evidence 4 Learning is an excellent resource and we look forward to implementing at Wodonga Senior Secondary College. Greatly appreciate of the scholarship that allowed us to take a team of five to this professional learning.
The three key problems identified:
1. Students get stuck (in the learning pit) and do not have the strategies or language.
2. Staff and students are not all explicitly aware of metacognitive strategies.
3. Outcomes are lower across the board due to lowmetacognition (achievement, retention, pathways).
The three hopeful outcomes from this work:
1. Students can articulate where they are at with their learning, making an informed decision of what to do next (and articulating that) – students usingmetacognitive self talk
2. Staff and students share a commonunderstanding of and language for metacognition
3. Outcomes across the board (achievement, retention, pathways) will improve
Textbooks are published. Even better this time with my name on the front!!